By Nawal's Cakes
Follow them on Instagram at @nawals_cakes. This beautiful cake was created as a request for a birthday cake featuring our dark cacao nibs and freshly roasted cacao powder!
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups natural cane sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour
- 3/4 cup Chocosol cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups roasted albino cacao beans (Jaguar Beans), lightly crushed OR roasted cacao nibs
- 2/3 Vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk or cream, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease four 6-inch cake pans and line the base with parchment paper.
- Mix the milk and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. It should thicken slightly.
- Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla to the milk. Whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, pastry flour, cocoa powder, cacao powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat the milk mixture and the flour mixture with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the four pans and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the pans cool for about 20 minutes before taking the cakes out.
- Prepare the frosting. Mix the soft butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and milk with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, you can start frosting them. Spread some of the frosting between each layer, sprinkling a little bit of the crushed albino cacao beans or roasted cacao nibs in between.
- Frost the whole cake, top and sides. Place in the fridge for an hour so the icing can set.
- Decorate the cake with the rest of the crushed albino cacao beans or nibs!