1131 St. Clair Avenue West
Toronto, ON M6E 1B1
About Chocosol Traders
Chocosol is a business and social enterprise transforming cacao, the food of the gods, into small-batch, bean-to-bar, artisanal dark chocolate that is as ecologically regenerative as humanly possible from sourcing and transporting, to processing and packaging. Our cacao is sourced directly from growers in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and Ecuador. We are passionate about what we do and in developing long-term relationships with our growers, local community partners, international horizontal trading network and our Chocosol team.
Chocosol is a learning community social enterprise that has emerged out of two decades of intercultural research with Indigenous communities in Mexico and other countries where cacao grows. By looking at traditional ecological knowledge practices and crops, Chocosol has developed recipes and products that are delicious, ecologically grown, nutritious, free of the most common allergens (dairy, soy, gluten, nuts) and made with energy efficient and low-waste, cradle to cradle methods.
Chocosol is seeking a:
Chocolate Production Assistant
To qualify for this role, candidates are required to have:
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident legally eligible to work in Canada
- Recent graduate from a Culinary Program, or related field of study.
- Candidates must be 30 years of age or younger
- Candidates must be available for a minimum of 6 months, working full-time (~ 37.5 hours per week on average).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparation of Kakai pumpkin seeds, glazing and roasting pumpkin seeds for use as an ingredient.
- Preparation and popping of amaranth seed for use as an ingredient.
- Assist with the Choco-Alegria production process.
- Support the recipe development of the Choco-Alegria bars.
- Ability to take direction from the project lead and warehouse management team, follow instructions, and also have the ability to work independently.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with co-workers to exchange information and to coordinate activities and schedules.
- Chocolate bar wrapping process support.
- Maintain SQF standards throughout the work space, working in a clean and organized manner at all times. Manages the required checklists and logs, completing entries as required.
- Manage assigned production activity, which can include monitoring machine settings, understanding the batch handling and tracking processes.
- Attend St. Lawrence Market Boutique to produce chocolate, provide demonstrations, offering an educational experience and interactive marketing initiative to market visitors.
Skills and Experience:
- The Chocolate Production Assistant preferably has culinary training and/or experience in food service.
- Ideally this candidate would have worked in a production kitchen environment or equivalent.
- Ability to read and understand recipes, technical manuals, procedures and documentation.
- Attention to detail, and ability to prioritize tasks. Technical aptitude would be an asset.
- An understanding of the importance of developing scalable recipes and practices balanced with maximizing the food safety and nutritional value of locally sourced products of maize (corn), pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, herbs and spices, and other sustainable food crops.
- Excellent written documentation skills. The candidate must be able to write clear, concise notes and documentation in an organized manner.
- Able to complete process and manufacturing logs per SQF requirements and with concise clear notes.
- Must maintain excellent communication, regularly review and respond to emails. Communicates clearly and effectively with co-workers to exchange information and to coordinate activities and schedules.
- Experience using Google Work Space Suite - email, drives, and applications.
Other desired assets and qualifications:
- Ability to lift 25 kg boxes
- Food Handlers Certificate, or Health and Safety training in a food production environment would be an asset. An understanding of requirements for protective equipment and safety practices.
- Ability to speak Spanish or French, in addition to English.
- Contributes to a harmonious work environment
- Possesses a curious mind with an eagerness and readiness to learn
- Dependable and punctual and brings a positive and professional spirit to the team.
- Passion and interest in cacao, making chocolate, ecology, and supporting local food systems.
Primary Work Location:
The work will be located primarily at our warehouse and food production facility in the Jane & Finch area. Secondary locations include 1131 St. Clair Ave. West and our Boutique in the lower level of St. Lawrence Market.
Work schedule: Full time ~37.5 hours per week. Some weekend hours may be required.
Compensation: starts at $19.00 per hour
How to apply:
Send your cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Chocosol. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We receive many applications and cannot respond to each one through in-person, telephone, and email follow-ups.
Chocosol provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leaves of absence, compensation and training.