Job Title: Front of House Sales Animator
Location: 1131 St. Clair Avenue West. With some work off-site at farmers markets, special events, demos and workshop support.
$16.80 to $17.78 per hour
Based on experience.
Work hours: We estimate a maximum 3 days per week or 15-24 hours per week. Availability to work on weekends and evenings is preferable.
Reports to: Sales Lead / Sales Manager
Job Purpose: This position is often the first point of contact with the customer. Their main role is to be an ambassador for Chocosol’s products and philosophy. The animator’s detailed product knowledge and exceptional customer service skills drive a positive experience and strong sales.
ChocoSol is a growing social enterprise, established in 2006. This entry level position seeks to build and develop talented and passionate candidates as members of our team.
ChocoSol produces stone ground dark chocolate of the highest quality and strives to share this great gift with radical hospitality and conviviality.
Duties & Responsibilities (in order of most important or time-consuming):
- Utilize effective sales strategies to promote retail sales.
- Communicate knowledge to customers about ChocoSol products, the business model, farmers markets, wholesale opportunities, etc. to communicate the mission and story of ChocoSol.
- Possess good numeracy skills for accurate cash handling, including cashing in and out.
- Use the POS systems to efficiently and accurately process sales transactions.
- Support ChocoSol’s growth by actively engaging in the opportunity to develop and improve our storefront space to enhance the customer experience.
- Hustle -- we are chocolate peddlers & pedalers (literally by bike sometimes). This means understanding & listening to customers’ needs and making the right decisions to lead them to a positive Chocosol experience and purchase.
- Provide hospitality to guests & customers entering the space and to people contacting ChocoSol by phone to make customers feel valued, listened to, and welcomed to our community.
- Promote conviviality (respect, dignity & friendliness) amongst co-workers, volunteers, and community partners.
- Brew and serve coffee to promote ChocoSol’s low-emission coffee beans, using both the drip and espresso machines.
- Learn to consistently make extraordinary xocolatl (Mexican chocolate drinks) and Mayan mochas (chocolate & coffee blend) to ChocoSol’s standards and quality.
- Ensure that the storefront space & equipment is routinely cleaned, organized, and sanitized.
- Share in housekeeping duties (sweep, mop, bathroom cleaning, laundry, etc.) to maintain high levels of sanitation and cleanliness.
- Maintain personal hygiene to a standard that is suitable for the food service/hospitality industry.
- Regularly check work e-mails to ensure responding & following up in a timely manner.
- Actively engage with Google Drive (Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.) to effectively communicate with Lead Animators regarding scheduling, sick/vacation time, submitting hours worked, etc.
- Learning & diligence of the ChocoSol employee protocols, policies, & responsibilities.
- We have a flexible, changing workspace. The roles and responsibilities of this position may change. Staff will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
- Long periods of standing
- Going up and down stairs multiple times during a shift
- Heavy lifting (up to 40lbs)
- Possibility of working outdoors and being exposed to different weather conditions (sun, heat, rain, snow)
Skills & Qualifications (experience and personal traits):
- At least 2 years of sales or hospitality experience (negotiable)
- Outgoing and confident in a sales environment
- Approachable personality to actively engage customers
- Comfortable working alone: able to problem solve, with effective time management and organizational skills to be able to prioritize tasks in a busy retail environment.
- Must have an inherent desire to constantly improve systems.
- Attention to detail.
- Adaptability: Must use a flexible approach to best match the environment, situation, or person. Can adapt quickly and to frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Professionalism: Upholds organizational values and works with integrity and ethically in all situations. Treats others with respect and consideration at all times. Accepts responsibility, reacts well under pressure, follows through on commitments.
- Active Communication: Clearly expresses ideas, information, and concerns both verbally and in written format in a variety of situations. Actively listens, gives verbal and nonverbal cues of interest, asks questions for clarification, and paraphrases to ensure understanding.
- All employees are required to check emails regularly, and reply to communications as required.
- A passion for ecology, sustainability, and supporting local food systems
- Friendly, outgoing, and approachable demeanor
- Additional language skills in Spanish and/or French are optimal
- Current driver's license and safe driving record
- Food Handling certificate
- Experience using the Google Suite (Drive, Mail, Docs, Sheets, etc.)
ChocoSol is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.