We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced individual to join the ChocoSol team as Front of House Sales Animator for our retail boutique & chocolate café. This is a part-time contract position until the end of December 31, 2018 with the potential for developing into a longer-term position.
ChocoSol is a Learning Community Social Enterprise that makes stone-ground dark chocolate, also known as the ‘food of the gods’, using cacao sourced directly from farmers in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, and Ecuador. We process our delicious and nutritious bean-to-bar chocolate at our St Clair Avenue West facility, and host many in-house culinary events, workshops, and tours. You can also find us peddling chocolate at 7+ weekly farmers markets and at a few dozen external community events & trade shows every year.
Our organization has been building and evolving for over 12 years in Toronto, and we are now looking to expand and strengthen our dynamic sales team with this hire.
The successful candidate is an individual who is passionate about ecology, sustainability, and supporting local food systems. The physical space of the storefront is a crucial connection point between the various areas of ChocoSol (production, wholesale, retail, markets, maintenance, etc.) so the individual must be able to work effectively in a team environment that requires communication and supporting each other. The right candidate loves engaging with people and takes pride in maintaining a clean, organized, and welcoming space for everyone that comes through the area.
- Promote retail sales using effective sales strategies.
- Communicate your knowledge to customers about ChocoSol products, the business model, farmers markets, wholesale opportunities, etc.
- Accurate cash handling, including cashing in and out.
- Use of Shopify POS system to process all sales.
- Support ChocoSol’s growth by actively engaging in the opportunity to develop and improve our storefront space.
- Hustle; we are chocolate peddlers & pedalers (literally by bike sometimes), this means understanding & listening to customers needs and making the right decisions to lead them to a positive Chocosol experience and purchase.
- Support wholesale team by completing orders and gathering contacts from potential wholesale & online clients.
- Provide hospitality to guests & customers entering the space and to people contacting ChocoSol by phone.
- Make customers feel valued, listened to, and welcomed to our community.
- Conviviality (respect, dignity & friendliness) amongst co-workers, volunteers, and community partners.
- Brew and serve coffee to promote ChocoSol’s low-emission coffee beans, using both the drip and espresso machines.
- Make extraordinary xocolatl (Mexican chocolate drinks) and Mayan mochas (chocolate & coffee blend).
- Prepare cold brew for various events and in house.
- Wrapping Chocolate
- Support production by wrapping, stickering, and boxing chocolate bars.
- Wrap all chocolate according to protocol to ensure that packaging is clean, standardized, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Cleanliness and General Cleaning
- Ensure that the storefront space & equipment is routinely cleaned, organized, and sanitized.
- Share in cleaning duties (sweep, mop, bathroom cleaning, laundry, etc.).
- Maintain personal hygiene to a standard that is suitable for the food service/hospitality industry.
- Administrative/Organizational Duties
- Regularly check work e-mails. Respond & follow-up in a timely manner.
- Actively engage with Google Drive (Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.) to effectively communicate with Lead Animators regarding scheduling, sick/vacation time, submitting hours worked, etc.
- Learning & diligence of the ChocoSol employee protocols, policies, & responsibilities.
- Filling Online Orders
- Stay on top of checking online orders throughout the day.
- Pack orders according to protocol to ensure that the chocolate is safe during shipment and that the package is aesthetically pleasing to the recipient.
- Ship orders using either eShipper or Canada Post.
- At least 2 years of sales experience
- Effective organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Outgoing nature & confidence
- Must have an inherent desire to constantly improve systems
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a busy retail environment to get the job done
- A passion for ecology, sustainability, and supporting local food systems
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French
- Food Handling certificate
- Urban city cycling skills
- Valid G2 or G level drivers licence
Work days/hours: Must be able to work Sundays regularly and occasional evenings when ChocoSol hosts special events.
End date: December 31, 2018 with the potential for developing into a longer-term position.
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30, 2018. Thank-you for your interest, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We receive many applications and cannot respond to all in-person, telephone, and e-mail follow-ups.
Chocosol Traders is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or any other protected factor. Chocosol is committed to working with and providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail Byron@chocosoltraders.com. We will make a determination on your request for accommodation on a case-by-case basis.