We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced individual to join the ChocoSol team as Front of House Sales Animator for our retail storefront. This is a part-time contract position until the end of December 31, 2017 with the potential for developing into a longer-term position for the right candidate.
ChocoSol is a Learning Community Social Enterprise that makes the ‘food of the gods’ – commonly known as cacao – into fresh, whole food, stone ground chocolate. ChocoSol’s cacao is sourced directly from farmers in Mexico, Dominican Republic, and Ecuador, and then processed bean-to-bar at our St Clair Avenue West facility. We run many in-house events, workshops, and tours, as well as participating in a few dozen external community events every year.
The right candidate is an individual who is passionate about ecology, sustainability, and supporting local food systems. The physical space of the storefront is a crucial connection point between the various areas of ChocoSol (production, wholesale, retail, markets, maintenance, etc) so the individual must be able to work effectively in a team environment that requires communication with and support of each other. The right candidate loves engaging with people and takes pride in maintaining a clean, organized, and welcoming space for everyone that comes through the area.
- Promote retail sales using effective sales strategies.
- Communicate your knowledge to customers about ChocoSol products, the business model, farmers markets, wholesale opportunities, etc.
- Accurate cash handling, including cashing in and out.
- Use of POS system to log all sales.
- Use of Moneris system to process credit/debit card transactions.
- Support wholesale team by completing orders and gathering contacts from potential wholesale clients.
- Support ChocoSol’s growth by actively engaging in the opportunity to develop and improve our storefront space.
- Provide hospitality to guests & customers entering the space and to people contacting ChocoSol by phone.
- Make customers feel valued, listened to, and welcomed to our community.
- Brew and serve coffee to promote ChocoSol’s low-emission coffee beans.
- Make extraordinary xocolatl (Mexican chocolate drinks) and Mayan mochas (chocolate & coffee blend).
- Wrapping chocolate
- Support production by wrapping, stickering, and boxing chocolate bars.
- Wrap all chocolate according to protocol to ensure that packaging is clean, standardized, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Cleanliness and general cleaning
- Ensure that the storefront space & equipment is routinely cleaned, organized, and sanitized.
- Share in cleaning duties (sweep, mop, bathroom cleaning).
- Maintain personal hygiene to a standard that is suitable for the food service/hospitality industry.
- Administrative/Organizational Duties
- Regularly check work e-mails. Respond & follow-up in a timely manner.
- Actively engage with Google Drive (Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.) to effectively communicate with Lead Animators regarding scheduling, sick/vacation time, submitting hours worked, etc.
- At least 2 years of sales experience
- Effective organization skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Must have an inherent desire to constantly improve systems
- Ability to prioritize tasks in a busy retail environment to get the job done
- A passion for ecology, sustainability, and supporting local food systems
- Fluency in Spanish an asset
- Food Handling certificate an asset
Work days/hours: Approximately 2-3 days per week. This may include weekends and occasional evenings when ChocoSol hosts special events.
End date: December 31, 2017 with the potential for developing into a longer-term position for the right candidate.
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 10, 2017. Thank-you for your interest, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We receive many applications and cannot respond to all in-person, telephone, and e-mail follow-ups.
Chocosol Traders is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or any other protected factor. Chocosol is committed to working with and providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail Byron@chocosoltraders.com. We will make a determination on your request for accommodation on a case-by-case basis.