Chocolate Production Assistant – Summer 2017
Who we are
ChocoSol Traders is a social enterprise learning community that transforms the “food of the gods” – cacao- into stone ground, artisanal dark chocolate. We use bean-to-bar techniques to produce artisanal, small batch chocolate that retains the health and nutritional values of cacao. We work with and source directly from Indigenous communities in Mexico with a spirit of reciprocity and friendship.
Why work with ChocoSol?
Being an apprentice at ChocoSol will give you an opportunity to work hands-on and learn from our passionate staff about producing sustainable socially just foods. We are learning community that uses cacao as a vehicle for sustainability, direct trade, food literacy and mentorship. As such, you will gain chocolate making and food handling experience while simultaneously engaging with our research and values.
Duties + Responsibilities
The primary duties of this position will be assisting our Executive Chef in our weekly production. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Ingredient prep, moulding, and wrapping chocolate
- Ensuring our hygiene and cleanliness standards are upheld
- Inventory tracking
- Assistance with roasting and winnowing
- Assisting with in-house workshops and food education
- Secondary assistance to the Lead ChocoSoil Animator with upkeep and maintenance of our rooftop container garden
- Must be between the ages of 18-30
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Was registered as a Full-time student in Winter 2017 semester
- Intention of returning to a post-secondary institution in Fall 2017
- Kitchen experience and a Certificate in Food Handling is an asset but not mandatory
- Common sense, personal hygiene, and kitchen safety is a must
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Enthusiasm for social entrepreneurial and passion for socially just, ecological food
- Spirit of convivial fun, helpfulness, open heart and mind in a busy work environment
Compensation and Duration
$12.50/ hour, 30 hours a week for 16 weeks beginning on a mutually agreed upon date in early June. Ten volunteer training hours must be completed prior to the beginning of the work placement.
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 17th. Thank you for your interest, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Chocosol is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or any other protected factor. Chocosol is committed to working with and providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make a determination on your request for accommodation on a case-by-case basis.