ChocoSol is hiring!
JOB POSTING: Tortilla Project Support Staff (PDF version)
We are seeking 3 to 4 enthusiastic and experienced individuals to join the ChocoSol team as Tortilla Project Support Staff for intensive hours during the period of August to October. Your main job will be to make and sell tortillas in a fast-paced environment at a downtown farmer’s market.
ChocoSol is more than a business. We are a Learning Community Social Enterprise that focuses on building community, increasing food knowledge, and developing an ecological and ethical food system through delicious tortillas and chocolate. The Tortilla Project focuses on providing local, organic tortillas and is inspired by Indigenous traditions of corn preparation. We are looking for workers who are passionate about food that is as good to eat as it is for people and the planet.
- Cooking and serving corn-based foods (e.g. tortillas, tamales)
- Pressing, grilling, topping, and plating tortillas
- Topping and plating tamales
- Cleanliness and attention to detail
- Keep an organized and clean work space
- Appropriate food handling and personal hygiene
- Attention to presentation and attractive plating
- Customer relations
- Warm, helpful, and enthusiastic
- Knowledgeable about ChocoSol and able to convey information clearly to customers
- Cash handling
- Market set-up and tear-down
- Packing equipment and supplies for market
- Establishing attractive on-site layout
- Cleaning and re-setting for the next day
- Team communication
- Report to Lead Research Chef
- Provide feedback about market operations
- Work closely with co-workers to serve customers in a friendly and efficient manner
- Food handling certification required
- Strong organization and communication
- Able to remain calm, clean, and organized in a fast-paced environment
- Enthusiasm for our social enterprise and a passion for ecological and just food
- Cycling skills an asset
- Fluency in Spanish an asset
Work days/hours: Potential for full-time hours. Work schedule will be intense due to busy market season.
Compensation: $13/hour net pay after taxes (ChocoSol covers all deductions)
Length of contract: August to October (details to be confirmed)
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 14. Thank-you for your interest, however only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.